Monday, September 27, 2010

It's been awhile..

Share
...since I last posted anything worth mentioning, been very busy this past week what with the retirement of my father from his post and with school I've only had very few chances to access the internet (FB mobile not included).

I was in Davao this week, helping my parents pack their things from the house my father stayed in. The house was part of his office's compound and therefore, wasn't really OUR house. The problem with my parents is that they are both pack rats. While packing I found old hotel card keys, screws, old ID photos, ticket stubs, etc. but hidden amongst the trash were treasures. I found coins, pins and buttons, even some of my father's old slr camera lenses and other equipment like a monopod. I've collected my father's calling cards and IDs from conferences and meetings he attended. I also stole this one item from my mother's "raffle box" it was a miniature light house. It was so precious and is just some of the few reminders we had of our life in the pier.

Friday, was the turnover ceremony and pagpupugay from my dad's staff and workers. It was a touching night, as everyone whose lives my parents touched and influenced were present that night. There was a video presentation, showing my dad's professional and personal life. I did not appreciate the photo his staff have chosen of me, as I have a lot of photos of myself that were more presentable. You know how in debuts, there is that 18 roses dance? Well they made a similar one only the staff with roses were to dance with my parents. Most of them cried while in the arms of my parents, they later told me that my parents were like their own. My mom would prepare snacks and coffee for them while she was in Davao. My dad would give them fatherly advices regarding work and their personal life as well as recommend them what books to read, what movies to watch, and the like. Hearing these stories made me see another side of my dad. Normally, he is a quiet man who just sits in a corner and reads his books, or watches tennis on the television.

Then, they made me, my older brother and mom speak. At this point, I was already teary-eyed from all the crying his people made. So I just thanked them for all the support, care and love they gave to my family especially to my parents. My brother gave a better speech (trust a lawyer to give a touching speech, hehehe xp). He told them how much his life was influenced by the pier, the people my father worked with, how wonderful my father was and basically how he has touched so many lives without even knowing the extent of his influence to them. Now, my mother on the other hand, talked about their lives back in the day; how there was so much politics then and now, how it was different back then and then she reminded everyone to try their hardest in attaining a high position without stepping on other people --- that its all about perseverance in order to attain what my father has accomplished in his more than 30 years of service.

I have always admired my father, but after that night, I admired him even more and idolize him. I want to be like him and also, I want to find a man that is very much like him. A man who is strong-willed, determined, intelligent, mild mannered but still has a strong personality. I love my dad, and truly there is no other man who I can love as much I love him. I am so proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment