Today was not a very good day for every Filipino in Luzon. We were hit yesterday by "Bagyong Basyang," though it was not a really strong storm in terms of rain fall like those of Ondoy and Pepeng, it was the wind that caused major damage. Nobody expected the storm to be that strong despite the warnings of PAGASA. Black outs and no water were the major cries of the people in every radio station. Schools announced the suspension of classes for today in all levels. Government workers still had work to go to. Not sure about the private sector, maybe only those with strong generators called their employees to work. There were reports of death and people gone missing because of the storm. Trees, electric poles fell. In Paranaque, a crane used for road construction tumbled, causing major traffic in that area.
As for us, my family and I suffered little compared to those who lost their loved ones. Most of the furnitures in our terrace, veranda and garden were either wet or destroyed. Cushions and carpets were brought out to dry when the rains stopped. My DSLR camera also got wet, even though I placed it on the table away from the windows and glass door, but unfortunately and irritatingly, somebody left the glass door open.
My mother and I spent the whole day cleaning the mess Basyang left, while my siblings went to work. Earlier this evening, I had some difficulty cooking in the dark. We have emergency lights, flashlights and candles, but the lights emitting from them were not enough for me to see what I was doing.
I pitied my mother because she looked so helpless. Friends hear me constantly complainig about her, but today she looked so helpless piecing together the marble chess set we had at the terrace. Her precious plants and flowers were destroyed as well. Good thing my sisters came home early, they lent her their laptops and she played her solitaire games while waiting for the electricity to come back.
And it did, only a few minutes ago. Thank goodness. A whole day of no electricity has been tough but it was okay considering..
No comments:
Post a Comment